Sunday 29 July 2012

To Be Seen Is To Be Queen


Just brilliant!

What can I say? Eager was I to put a wordy bullet into the ceremonial body of the opening of London Games 2012, but after watching the show last night and on more than one instance of catching my jaw, I will have to keep my 'gun' in safe in its holster. It was spectacular!
This was a riot of a show perforated with ghostly reflections of the past and held together by the solemn girth of hymns and the proud pomp that only trumpets can produce.
I concede that director Danny Boyle did make some bits hard for those outside the UK to 'get' but presumably they understood the significance given to our literature/music and our contribution to the modern world through the industrial revolution through to the world wide web. Im also guessing they understood our world renowned quirky, self mocking sense of humour, and the acknowledgement that by and large we manage to be a people of tolerance and community.
Kudos must go to Her Majesty for her first 'acting' debut alongside 007 Daniel Craig (see above video) and that entrance was shall we say inspired. Very very cool. Who would ever have guessed it was the real Queen that had her back to Bond as he entered the room? Delightfully sporting of you Ma'am!
So a great ceremony all told (apart from Paul MacCartney but thats personal to me because I dislike his music) and I pity the organisers of the next Olympics in Rio in four years time.