Monday 1 November 2010

Killing Tobacco

It would seem that quitting smoking is big buisness. There are gums, lozenges, nicotine patches, helplines and all manner of therapies to help the cigarette smoker give up the weed. And there are literally HUNDREDS of online sites dedicated to 'stubbing it out.' But is all this stuff needed? I was a smoker, and a dedicated one at that. I LOVED cigarettes and even took a pack into the bath with me, in case of any sudden cravings. (Plus I thought it was the height of bohemia to be smoking during a soak in the tub.) The only time I disliked smoking was when I was indulging in another favourite vice; alcohol. Others like to partner cigarettes with booze but for me it was a foul mix.
Back in 2004 however, I decided to quit smoking. Not for health or financial reasons, I wanted to stop because the habit was getting in the way of my drinking. I used to drink pretty often (still do in fact) and couldn't stand the combination of tobacco and alcohol together so the cancer sticks had to go.

Photobucket Easy as ABC

Granted I did use nicotine gum to help ease the withdrawals but I only ever used two packets of the stuff, after that it was plain sailing. Yes you read that correct dear reader, giving up smoking was easy, at least it was for me. Does this mean I have an iron will? Was I truly addicted to nicotine? (Is anyone?)
Obviously the answer must be YES to both; I have successfully pulled myself from alcoholism to be able to drink now without a problem and there is no doubt that nicotine is addictive. But how addictive is it? Is nicotine really as powerful as these help sites make out? Im not convinced it is.
When I quit puffing on October 15, 2004, I stayed QUIT. I never once slipped to return to cigarettes. Sure I dreamt about doing it (I think most ex smokers have the 'smoking dreams') but I did not miss it one bit. Not the lighting up, the taste or the ritual of smoking - first ciggie of the day with tea. Everything disappeared and it was like I had never smoked.
Certainly the habit is persistent, and it has a powerful grip on people but I cannot help being amazed at just how bad or potent some believe it to be. And allow me to repeat myself; I LOVED to smoke and was as unwilling to quit in my twenties as the most stubborn smoker is. There was no way it was going to happen. Or so I believed back then.
So if I, a smoker who enjoyed a ciggie as much as I enjoy a drink (but not together,) can kick it into touch, why on earth do others find it so difficult? Why do they need support sites and phonelines to help get them past a craving? Is it because their hearts are simply not in it? If thats the case, why bother attempting to quit at all? Afterall if your hearts not into it then puff to oblivion and be damned.
I fail to see how it is such a big hurdle. Smoking isn't like cocaine or whisky, or valium or amphetamine. So what is there to miss when you give up? The first cigarette might provide a tiny 'high' but the ones which follow don't. It really is money down the drain with only scabby lungs to show for it. (Many would argue its the same with drink and drugs but only by the ones who don't use either.)
Im not telling people they should quit the smokes, if it makes you happy more power to you. Just pointing out that if and when you do want to ditch the sticks then don't be put off by stories of 'terrible' withdrawal or the 'agony' of cold turkey. Those are the drama queens speaking ~ take it from me, its a piece of cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.