Tuesday 1 May 2012

Eagle Loving Eagle because of Hooked Beaks


Are we programmed for automatic love? For instance if a relative adds another baby to the clan, do you instantly love that child? and if so, why? I suspect many to be shocked that I would question this because afterall, we have been conditioned to love family for centuries and we think its natural but is it really? You are an eagle, as am I, therefore I must love you. It really is quite astounding that the majority of people have just accepted this as God given. Close family units I can understand but when family are more fleeting than meeting then I am at a loss to how folk can think that blood is thicker than water.
Who would love a relative they've not seen or spoken to in years more than a dear friend they see daily in the pub or at the rugby? And why? Just because they happen to share the same surname or eyebrows? Seems awfully silly to me. On God's teeth, I have more love for the buzzards and red kites that hover my land hunting for rabbit, than I ever will have for some second cousin living in Hampshire who ive not seen in twenty years to life. (I have no cousin in Hampshire but you catch my drift.) Perhaps not coming from a close family myself makes the 'automatic love' easier to question. (My family used to be quite close but death makes a mockery of it when it decides to throw its skeletal hand in and mix things up.) I will admit that whenever I used to find myself at family gatherings (rare as unicorn horns) the body language and 'uncomfortableness' was as clear as dawn to me. A 30ft Tyrannosaurus could have made a better job of disguising itself and I would suddenly realise WHY some families are better off without such affairs. Forgive me my dears but I can spot a pretend smile in a pocket full of clowns so spare me the plastic dramatics and pass me a scotch.
Funerals are best to expose this fraud. "Oh we must meet again under happier circumstances!" One great aunt will offer. And of course everyone will agree but it never materialises, ever. Its just talk. I suppose peoples intentions are good but when it comes to putting good intent into action then most think its too much trouble. If one gave it more than a fleeting thought, it could get quite depressing. So best leave it on the back burner with ideas of meeting again under better times.
So why oh why should I love my second cousin in Hampshire more than a dear friend? Because we share the same aunt or something? Its hogwash I tell you, puerile bullshit and I wont, cannot subscribe to it. It defies logic and my loyalties will always be toward the friend I see often rather than any family ive not seen since Noah built the Ark.