Wednesday 13 April 2011

Music: The Magnificent BeLIEve

Horror writer Stephen King says that he loves Metallica, AC/DC, Anthrax, etc but he never cared for Black Sabbath. And Im the same. Confession time: I am a massive lifelong fan of heavy metal but I have never owned a Sabbath or Led Zep record. Doubt ive even picked one up in a record store. Sure ive heard the music, and like some of it (tho not a big fan), but my metal collection that I started nearly thirty years ago (!?!) has been just dandy without Physical Graffiti and Master of Reality among its ranks. And I had to Google both bands to find those album titles. A lot of folks buy albums simply to join the same miserable queue. They fall into the trap of thinking they must like a band because everyone else does. This is the only way I can understand how the God awful Beatles were so popular. People just liked them because others did. Why? Humans are herders.

Photobucket Looks fun!

The mind tricks people into believing the music is good. Of course someone will try telling me that they actually like a certain popular band but I take it as a huge pinch of salt because of the Trick. Afterall the mind is for the most part a mystery. Its easy for it to have you believing you feel the sound when you most likely do not.
And it probably happens in my beloved metal scene the most come to think about it. There are a lot of theatrics and imagery involved with certain bands, Slipknot for example, and I have no doubt that some fans are only attracted because its the current 'in' trend.
Naturally im not saying every fan of Led Zeppelin or The Beatles *puke* has been conned by their whimsical minds but I am saying a lot have. And its not exclusive to music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.