Thursday 5 April 2012

That Don't Impress Me Much

First off, apologies to Shania for nicking your title, I don't usually do it (largely because im a great 'titler' myself) but hey there you go. I'll buy you a drink next time im in Canada okay? Right, thats out of the way.
3D film has come back with a vengeance (I seem to remember it first with Jaws 3D in the 80s) and even older movies are getting a lick of three dimensional paint but for all the fuss and hoo-ha, im not impressed with it. Take last night for example. I bought Piranha 3D (with the obligatory specs), opened a bottle of something nice and got ready to be immersed in a world of bikini clad hotties and ravenous flesh loving fish and to a tiny extent I was, but it felt nowhere near as fantastic as I had imagined 3D to be when I was a boy. I didnt even want to reach out and grab Kelly Brooks peachy ass as she gyrated on screen like a Greek nymph.
Its not the first new 3D film ive seen either because I have My Bloody Valentine and felt the same way. Its kinda cool in places but doesn't feel 100% right. I had thought it would be so much better than it is. And those glasses don't exactly help matters. I felt real daft sitting, drink in claw, with cardboard glasses perched on my nose. (Least they could do is make them fit properly too). Its supposed to plonk you in the movie but if anything it does the exact opposite and breaks the immersion because you are constantly reminded its just a film through having to wear glasses in the first place. And near constant adjusting the damned things for comfort. 3D is just a fad, a gimmick and will die its own death.
I have no doubt children find it amazing but older heads will get wise to it. Or should. Im already fed up with it and from now on will avoid 3D movies.

Photobucket
Can I get these in Gucci?