Monday 15 October 2012

Felix's Space Jump

The whole world must have watched Felix Baumgartner skydive from the edge of space yesterday evening. You read that right: a skydive
FROM THE EDGE OF SPACE.
As around 10 million huddled around a groaning YouTube and millions more tuned in via the more traditional television, an extremely brave Austrian was using a parachute to fall FROM THE EDGE OF FLIPPING SPACE! (And yes only capital letters will do it justice.) It simply does not get more awesome than this and when the door of Felix's capsule opened to reveal the earth below, I felt as giddy as a widow. When he stood ready to plummet my heart fairly felt like it was about to burst from my chest. God only knows what Felix's heart must have been doing.
This was daredevil'ing and extreme sport done to the absolute ETREME (yup there's those capitals again.)
Of course certain parts of the Internet were quiet but their silence spoke volumes, mainly about their envy but let's not dwell on those fools.
Well done Felix and congrats on having nerves forged from the finest steel. I usually find anything to do with space, dreadfully dull (oceans interest me more I'm afraid) but this plucky Austrian even managed to get me on the edge of my seat while he was on the (yes it's coming again) EDGE IF RUDDY SPACE! Amazing. Chalk another one for the history books. Da iawn.