Monday 1 October 2012

The Miracle in Medinah

Photobucket
For Seve

The Miracle in Medinah is how many described it. Last night the European team beat the Americans on their own turf 14½ to 13½ to retain the Ryder Cup in Chicago. And im happy to say Dai Jakes was one of the millions who witnessed it. It was glorious! A brilliant sporting comeback after looking like we were doomed to lose after friday and saturday. Team USA had it in the bag, or so they thought. They reckoned without the gutsy Europeans and their determination to win for the memory of one of golfing's greats, Seve Ballesteros. No doubt the man himself was looking down and giving one of his famous air punches as the Cup was lifted. Oh there was no joy in USAville.
Of course many will say, "miracle? Its only a sport!" They are wrong. Yes on the surface it was men holding metal rods and using them to whack balls into holes, but beneath that there was spirit and everyone who watched the Miracle in Medinah saw it at work. Mr Jakes is usually not one for 'acts of God' or divine dealings but I certainly felt something after Martin Kaymer holed the putt that gave us victory. (And it wasn't from the precious ginger liquid in my glass.) It was thrilling and I knew, I just knew that late American golfer Payne Stewart was congratulating Seve and the Spaniard was flashing a wolfish grin. I will have my doubters, the disbelieving naysayers not willing to believe a mere sport can have such an effect but I will not be swayed. For the last few days ive had a grey cloud hovering over me, there has been no reason for it, im happy enough in life, but it was there nevertheless. A kind of 'dent' if you will, on the bonnet of my usually sunny soul.
And then it was gone. Healed by the Miracle of Medinah. Amen!