Tuesday 2 August 2011

Hitting The Big Four O

In 22 days God willing I will turn 40. I will be forty years old. Am I daunted by this? Am I running around like a headless chicken (headless chickens are cool), trying to somehow find a way to stop the relentless march of time? Well in a word, no. On the contrary I am looking forward to it like I would a triple cheese pizza delivered by Emily Deschanel wearing nothing but high heels.
My thirties were blighted by the deaths of close family members, and spells of addiction and desperate lows. In my early thirties I feared at times that I would lose myself and never find my way back. They were horrid, filled with nasty dramas and the further I get from them in years, the happier I feel.
The only bright periods were meeting She Who Must Be Obeyed and the arrival of my daughter at the end of last year. Oh and the times Ive spent in Ireland! The rest of the time from 29 to 40 can go to hell.

Photobucket
Emily ten minutes before the pizza turned up

Thirty for me was being inbetween the bell and the rainbow, or like being a novice cobweb. In other words I still felt (or feel) the giddy learner, groping at Life's seams. From 30 to 39 is plywood. At 20 I had acceleration, from 40 I'll have it with purpose. Bring it on with all its four decades of anticipated glory!
Most people are afraid of getting older but the fear really is an anathema to me. One must suffer a great deal with insecurity if they look at birthdays beyond 40 with dread. These days age is not like it was a hundred years ago due to the advances in medicine and different lifestyles in general.
And face it, 40 is hardly old age. If I were to flake out right now at this keyboard, it would be a young age I would have died at, regardless of how close I am to being 40. Also what about those poor souls who were unfortunate to not live long in this life? The children and teenagers. I find it insulting in the extreme when folk bemoan the fact they are getting older, when others didn't ever get the chance.
No, like I say, im looking forward to it and many drinks will be downed in celebration not sadness on August 23rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.