Saturday 29 October 2011

Pus, Pus, Pus!

Photobucket
the infected digit

I have quite a painful infection in my middle finger (see above) which is similar in pain to an ingrown nail. Upon the slightest touch it flares and throbs like a lighthouse flashing in a storm and makes things like peeling potatoes or shaving very awkward. Thankfully it isn't an ingrown nail (I have had and cut one of those out myself in the past), what I have is known as Paronychia, which is a type of abscess that springs upon my fingers from time to time.
One treatment involves placing a 'wick' in the abscess in order for it to drain the gunk inside but there is a less intrusive method; Magnesium Sulfate paste (also known as Epsom salt). Simply put a dollop of it onto the affected digit and you are set to go. (Or rather the pesky infection is). After a few minutes you can actually feel the paste drawing out the pus, and it feels quite good. So good in fact that I actually don't mind the abscess setting up its pusy camp on my finger in the first place! Its definately not painful, not in the slightest.

Photobucket
My finger gets the paste

After repeated use of the Magnesium Sulfate my finger heals quickly with minimal fuss. Unlike the ingrown nail I once had on my toe, which took months of bathing followed by plenty of vodka and home surgery before it (painfully) packed its bags and left me in peace. (I don't recommend home surgery, its messy and stings a bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.