Friday 7 October 2011

I Sat Next To God Today

Some of the media were in full celebrity tongue shaft again yesterday becaue some singer, (her name has honestly slipped my tapping fingers) took the underground tube to her concert in London. One radio station even deemed it important enough to have an hours phone in about it. Yep, you read that right. Here we are on the ten year anniversary of having stormed into Afghanistan and all some channels want to talk about is some airheaded singer who decided to use public transport to her gig. Whoop di doo da! Hold the front page! Whip my bum with Ok! magazine!

Photobucket
This blog article is dedicated to her

To make it more interesting (im not sure 'interesting' is the correct word here), the station just happened to find a fan who was also on her way to the show, and *takes deep breath* sat right next to her idol! Quick! Pass the smelling salts before I implode all down my trousers!
Is this really newsworthy? Really really with a lemon on top? I know the world (or most of it) is currently obssessed with fame and worship celebrity like it was the Second Coming but even so, to dedicate a whole hour yakking about the fact that some singer (still can't recall the name) took the train to her gig is quite....well it just makes me want to bang my head repeatedly against a wall in frustration.
Thirty years ago this 'story' would have struggled to get more than a paragraphs attention in the papers, let alone get itself prodded for an hour on the radio. Our fault of course, we hang on every word celebrities say as if they have been passed on to them by God and scripted by Moses. (Obvioulsy I don't include myself when I say 'we', because I look at those 'afflicted' with fame in much the same way I look at some hapless sod struck down by ebola or dengue fever).
Oh well, I suppose if its what makes the masses happy, I shall just have to accept it and build the walls of my castle that much thicker to be able to ignore it better. I shall pray to the Holy Pike of Cenarth Falls for all of your televsion addled, earthly souls. The Pike doth bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.