Monday 3 October 2011

Remember Meredith Kercher

I was initially tempted to make this a rant for a different site, but having mulled over it with a rare coffee watching the sun rise lazily in the distance, I have decided to remain calm. This is a tragic story where a beautiful, young woman was murdered, and does not deserve to be ranted at and yelled around like those buffoons did last night when the verdict came through. (They had obviously decided to ignore the judge, who said this was not a football match).
Amanda Knox and Raffaele Soliecito were cleared of the murder of Meredith Kercher at around 10pm, monday evening in Italy. Both had spent four years in jail for the crime but are now free to go. A third man, Rudy Guede, is still in prison.
Now let me make this clear; the pair have been found innocent in a court of law and I have no complaint there. Justice would not be served had Knox and Soliecito spent twenty five years behind bars for something they hadn't done. My issue is with the authorites who totally bungled this case and the media who turned it into something similar to a Superbowl.
The televised circus I witnessed whilst sucking on a pint of cider were appalling, with people whooping like they were at a rodeo when the judge announced they were in the clear. I don't mind admitting that it left me feeling sad, awful that Meredith had been completely forgotten in the media storm. Im sorry but this was not the occasion for celebration and the victim became a victim twice over along with her family who are victims for life.

Photobucket
Meredith ~ never forgotten

Ms Kercher's family has said they feel "back to square one" and my heart genuinely goes out to them. (I feel I must write 'genuine' because ive seen very little genuine support for Meredith during all of this and I have altered my attitude accordingly).
And to add insult to injury, Amanda Knox is set to make a tidy fortune out of it with interviews, book deals and the movie that will no doubt be made (and that I for one will ignore). One US magazine had even paid for a private jet to whisk her off back to Seattle! (Unfortunately her passport has expired so currently she's on her way to London).
I am all in favour of compensating her and her ex boyfiend for what must have been a terrible ordeal, but all of these offers just proves to me how vulgar humnity has become. Meredith Kercher and Amanda Knox were close friends and I am certain that if this is true, the American is hurting over the loss of her friend.
So this is what I would do were I in Knox's shoes ~

1. Accept whatever compensation the Italian courts decide to give her.
2. Give half the book deal and interview money she recieves to Meredith Kercher's family and the other half to victims charities.
3. Avoid the television circuit and attempt to reclaim some form of normality. (Hard I know but doable if she wants it).
4. Never claim to be the victim. Meredith Kercher is the victim.

And most of all never forget Meredith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.