Thursday 2 December 2010

Doomlord

Only a few minutes ago I stumbled across something I had long forgotten. How I tossed it into the back of my scatty memory banks to lose it until now is a mystery because back in the 1980's I loved it. Or HIM to be more precise. His name was Doomlord and he appeared in the classic Eagle comics from 1982 to 1991, having been created by Allan Grant and John Wagner.

Photobucket His looks are from his fathers side. Probably

Doomlord was a servant of Nox, and his tag was 'master of life, bringer of death!' I lapped it up! (What was also great was that my aunt worked in a newsagents so she used to spoil my brother and myself with as much free comics as we wanted.)
He was an alien who could shape shift and was on earth to judge mankind. If Doomlord judged humanity unfit to care for the planet he would simply destroy it – the billions of innocent human deaths being inconsequential, because 'the fate of the individual is unimportant when the survival of the species is at stake' was what he liked to say.
This guy had cool powers too; the ability to absorb people's memories, skills, and personality, shape-shifting/impersonation, immensly strong, invulnerability and he wore a very cool energiser ring which could do disintegration, levitation, force field and teleportation. (James Bond eat yer heart out!)
A great thing about the comic strip is that real people acted them out and speech bubbles were slapped on the photographs so it wasn't all drawn characters. I remember looking at Mr Doom and being thrilled (and slightly creeped out) at his appearance. And oh how the memories bowled me over when I saw his skeletal chops once again. It was like being visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past, or a favourite old relative not seen in years. (Albeit looking slightly worse for wear.)
I still think Doomlord looks fabulous and the aged mask only adds more character to him. Now if you'll excuse me, there is an auction site I must visit and I hear can hear the servant of Nox skulking amongst the goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.