Monday 6 December 2010

Gizzards and Other Delights

White meats have never much appealed to me. I find chicken and turkey breast to be utterly bland and if I must eat them prefer the darker pieces, the bits most people discard (or give to Fido.) And when dining on our feathered friends (friends until they hit the pot) I go for goose, duck or pheasant. I find little flavour in those that cluck, apart from the skin and other small bits.
Giblets too are a firm favourite; mainly the neck, heart, liver and gizzard. I remember watching my grandmother cook them at Christmas when I was young and on being told what they were I immediately wanted to try the neck and thoroughly enjoyed it

Photobucket Giblets ~ Choice cuts

There is very little left of a bird once I have feasted on it, im like a cross between a vampire and a vulture. I also love the 'Parson's Nose' (also known as Sultan's nose.) This is the fleshy protuberance seen at the posterior/ass of a bird that has been prepared for the oven. Its quite bulbous to look at because it contains the uropygial gland that produces preen oil. Sure its greasy but its a fine morsel, very juicy and one of the first bits I make a grab at when the oven door opens. I could eat a bowl of them.
And now dear reader you will understand why I only lasted little over a year and a half as a vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.