Monday 28 February 2011

Forgiving The Hammer and Blood

Cornelia 'Corrie' Ten Boom, a Christian woman who survived a Nazi concentration camp during the Holocaust, said, "Forgiveness is to set a prisoner free, and to realize the prisoner was you."
This got me thinking, if I was ever wronged would I have enough heart to forgive the architect of my misery? And would I even want to? Obviously it depends on what was done against myself and forgiving a thief for stealing £50 is easier than forgiving a person for harming or murdering a loved one.
The bible has an awful lot to say on the subject of course, as do other religious scriptures but me personally, I am a very unforgiving creature. Okay i'll admit, im not a very religious person, (although I do have a spiritual side) so it won't be suprising that my beliefs differ from the good book, however I do see what Cornelia meant by what she said. It just isn't in me.
I have had belongings stolen from me and it was pretty unpleasant. But worse, much much worse, an old girlfriend was the victim of rape, and a family friend was murdered, so I know only too well the real horrors of violent crime. And had I been dating my ex~girlfriend at the time she was raped the courts would know just how unforgiving I can be, for I would have had to appear before them on some very serious charges.

Photobucket Garbage Ghoul Kid

I have only recently become a father and were any harm find itself to her by the foul deeds of man then im not sorry but I would visit the wicked side of my character onto the perpetrator of the crime. And his agonies would be terrible.
I know most fathers would preach the same thing but happily, mercifully most have not been sinned against. I haven't really but people close to me have. I have witnessed their almost unbearable suffering and I know that my spirit could not endure it. I know that it would turn against me, corrupt me and turn me into a demon, hellbent on carnage and bloodshed. Never been one for forgiveness, but I could become quite the disciple of revenge.
I have a dark side anyway and happily killed fish and newts in my youth. I am now a balanced gentle soul who loves poetry and music but if hurt befell my loved ones then resurrect the fiend I would. Without regret.
Why should I forgive? To my thinking that is the same as curling up in a corner and pleading with the evil man to go away, but seeing you are weak, evil pays no attention and carries on hurting you. Forgiveness to me is accepting a slap across the face like you almost deserved it then pitying your abuser.
Listen im no guru and if some people get comfort and peace through forgiveness then fine! Wonderful! I truly am glad for them but it isn't in me. I will leave that to God because im not big enough for it. I don't even want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.