Wednesday 11 January 2012

Blink (the Sunset Dead)

Yesterday I found myself strolling along one of the coastal roads which run alongside Panau's beautiful beaches, with the sun beating relentlessly on my back as the miles streched out ahead. Every step was weighed down with dread at the thought of covering any significant distance so I decided that some kind of vehicle would be best. As luck would have it (luck or cruel fate?) I spotted a motorbike heading towards me, its rider blisfully oblivious to my needs. The foliage and ferns that line the roads provided me with cover so I hid until the bike was close before suddenly leaping out in front of the startled biker. He came to a halt a few feet away from me and pressed a hand on his horn, no doubt furious at my stopping his journey.
I don't know where this man was headed late in the afternoon; home from work perhaps? Home to see his wife and children. Or maybe he was on his way for a spot of fishing on his Sea Runner boat? The crystal blue waters of Panau are perfect for fishing and sailing, and boats are very popular on the island. Or he could have been simply enjoying a spin on his motorbike, taking in the stunning views as the powerful Hamaya GSY650 motorbike did its thing.
Whatever it was this man was doing, it all came to a very definate STOP when he applied the brakes in order to stop before me. I could have knocked him off his machine of course. I am highly trained in the 'art' of violent force, and one swift blow to his solar plexes would have had the guy writhing on the road in agony, leaving me free to steal the Hamaya and make off into the distance and finally to my destination. I could have this easily but I didn't.
Instead I reached for my revolver (which is custom made to my specific needs), and raised it to the poor mans head. I caught a quick glimpse of something on his face but whether it was suprise or fear, it wasn't there for long because a gentle squeeze on the trigger brought his life to a bloody end. All this man was, all he was ever going to be, was now crumpled in a heap next to his bike. The people of Panau are inevitably poor, and this nameless man before me was now even poorer.

Photobucket
Come peacefully?

Now the gamer readers of this blog will recognise Panau as being the fictitional island from the game Just Cause 2, and this is correct. The above is something I did in the game last night. But why? Why did I shoot this bike loving character? Of course games are not real and there is no consequence outside of the game to any actions you do, be they good or bad but last nights 'murder' of an innocent civilian going about his buisness was an eye opener for me. Its not the first time ive killed someone in cold blood in a game but its the first time I have stopped and actually thought about it.
Had I tapped into a evil sinkhole in my psyche, latent in reality but raging in the gamesworld like Jeffrey Dahmer in a kill frenzy? In life (the real one) I am the gentlest of souls, though you would never think of it to look at me, and I know I am the opposite in videogames but the killings in those are usually kept to the story in whatever game im currently playing. For instance when im shooting people in Grand Theft Auto its down to some mob bosses orders, and the targets are usually criminals themselves. Ive never really enjoyed mowing down pedestrians (like you can do), which just makes my actions last night in Just Cause 2 all the more baffling. Of course I keep reminding myself, people in videogames are not people at all, just a bunch of sprites assembled to look like people and there is no harm done when we decide to go psycho.
But creators of these games are now taking a more adult approach and we are seeing consequences in-game should you choose to travel that evil route. Look at Fable 2, where characters will avoid you like the plague if you have committed foul deeds against your fellow man. Or Oblivion where should you wish to become a vampire, preying on innocent villagers, then taverns and shops will welcome you no longer. Now besides from opening different branches and endings to a story, I think being held accountable for crimes in videogames is a great thing. Heck if nothing else it shows younger players (whose parents still insist on getting 15+ rated titles for their children) that there is a penalty for pulling a trigger or swinging a blade. It will make them stop and think like I did. Perhaps instead of games getting blamed for violence, maybe they'll get praise for showing the negative results that bloodshed and mayhem usually bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.