Friday 21 January 2011

I Heart the Polished Dome

I went the bald route in 2009 and haven't grown my hair since. (It all goes on my chin these days and mighty impressive its been too.) My hair was always horrible, the only time it looked halfway decent was during the late eighties and early nineties when it was long and tousled like I was an extra from Hanoi Rocks. In school I had almost a 'pudding bowl' cut (somewhat popular back then) and after 1995 it started going thin which is not good if you happen to have long hair. According to my late mother my hair looked like 'rats tails' and while I ignored her at first I soon began to see she was right.
So I cut it, not just short but the whole hog and shaved the lot off. (I have always been a man of exremes, no half measures.) If my locks couldn't go the way David Coverdales had then the only other option (for a man of extremes) was bald.

Photobucket
My bonce: shine and go!

And its been great. Admittedly its a bit cold during the winter months (hey we have things called hats) but baths/showers are a breeze, my barber fees are zero, summer is cooler, theres no fussing in front of mirrors in the morning and chicks love bald guys. Win!
Today however I felt different. I thought perhaps to let it grow again, not long just cultivating a kind of 'buzzed' cut. I sat in the bath thinking of how cool a new look would be (and how I could take a break from wearing hats in this infernal cold) but as I started shaving the stubble on my face a curious thing occurred. I felt my razor hand reach up to my dome and before I could pull back I found myself dragging the razor over my head and begin shaving, all hopes of a new look disappearing into the waters.
It must have been a chunk of memory inside my head that remembered the 'rats tails' look and decided to have a mental arm wrestle with my new 'buzzed' cut idea, and won.
So this confirms it, I will never have hair on my head again. And to be frank (who's he?) I prefer being bald. There is nowhere to hide when ones head is polished. I hid away when my hair was long, my eyes covered by a straggly veil and it hung on my shoulders like a scarf. My face was almost concealed. Hair isn't merely fashion, the style you choose reflects the inner you. (And I f**king hate psychology!)
So I will maintain the Kojack look and not hide from the world, but confront it. Or just save myself a few bob on shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.