Monday 3 January 2011

A Sad Start To 2011

Sad to bring the news of the death of actor Pete Postlethwaite OBE who passed away this weekend after a battle with cancer. I felt a surge of sincere sadness when I read the news on the Retro Gamer forum because not only was he a great actor but I sensed he was a great human being too.

Photobucket A fine fine actor

Most will remember him by films like The Usual Suspects, Brassed Off and Jurassic Park: The Lost World but for me it was In The Name Of The Father. It was the first time I had seen one of his films and his performancs as Guisseppe Conlon was utterly brilliant and convincing. Sure he was 'supporting' Daniel Day Lewis' main character but Postlethwaite's presence made him equal.
Then of course there was Amistad and again he proved his acting was up there with the Burton's, O'Toole's and Harrises.
Director Steven Speilberg called Pete Postlethwaite 'the best actor in the world', and to that I raise my glass in agreement. Sleep well Mr Postlethwaite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.