Tuesday 11 January 2011

Tarka the Otter

Tarka the Otter is a 1979 'nature' film based on the Henry Williamson novel of the same name. And today it arrived on my doormat on DVD (and was harder to find than the proverbial hen's tooth.) It was 98 in poll by Channel 4 of the 100 greatest family films and if there was any real justice in the world (and not the rotten kind of justice served to Tarka) it would have been in the top ten.

Photobucket
Tarka's chum: Old Nob the Heron

I remember watching this in the early 80's when video became popular and it was seldom out of the VCR. I love everything about it from the breathtaking wildlife scenes to Peter Ustinov's cut glass tones as he narrates the story. This charming film, more than say Watershipdown and Wind In The Willows, instilled in my young self a love for mature and wildlife, a love that is with me still to this day. I also suspect it was Tarka the Otter which contributed to my dislike of dogs. (The hunting dogs and Tarka's nemesis, Deadlock)
I urge everyone to try and see this delightful film. Sure there are sad bits and also some grisly scenes but its only reflecting the occasional savagery that mother nature inflicts on its animals. Nature is cruel.
But there are wonderful moments in Tarka the Otter too. Particularly when Tarka (which incidentaly means 'Little River Wanderer') meets Whitetip a female otter.
Im glad the film seems to be back in circulation again because I couldn't find it for love nor money a few years ago. Treat yourself and spend over an hour with the otter and chums, you won't be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.